Spaghetti Bolognese is so easy to veganise and is so easy to make, it is perfect for if you are wanting to integrate plant-based meals into your life but don’t know where to start! I always think that any dish that usually uses beef mince can be swapped for lentils and it tastes just as good, if not better. The cashew parmesan gives it that cheesey yumminess that really takes the dish to the next level. We usually eat this once a week, but not always with the parmesan and it’s still so good! This Lentil Bolognese with Cashew Parmesan will be one of your new faves I’m sure!
In this recipe I used dried green lentils which take a bit longer to cook, but makes the sauce develop a deep and rich flavour with that little bit of extra cooking. You can use red split lentils or pre-cooked lentils if you wish to reduce the cooking time, ideal for if you are in a rush!
HOW TO MAKE CASHEW PARMESAN
Place the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, olive oil and optional hemp seeds and garlic clove into a food processor and blitz until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs
Just like that it’s ready for sprinkling on your spaghetti! Set aside in serving bowl or air tight container. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for 3 days.
Everything for this delicious bolognese sauce comes together in one pot and can sit simmering away on the hob while you prepare the cashew parmesan and the pasta, or zoodles for a healthier option!
The dogs always love a strand or two of spaghetti, I always save them a bit before adding the sauce and they go mad for it. Who else does this?
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 pinch of salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 800g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 175g dried green lentils, rinsed
- 100g cashews
- 2 tbsp hulled hemp seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 small garlic clove (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pasta of your choice or zoodles
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over a medium heat. When hot add the onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Add the carrot and a pinch of salt and stir. Cook for a few minutes more then add the balsamic glaze, stirring to coat for 1 minute.
- Then add the tin tomatoes, tomato paste, chilli flakes, smoked paprika, oregano, vegetable stock and lentils and stir to combine. Increase heat and bring to a simmer, then reduce to a medium-low and cover partly with lid.
- After 10-15 minutes remove the lid and continue to cook until lentils are soft and the sauce has reduced, about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta or prep your zoodles and make the cashew parmesan by adding all of the ingredients to a food processor and blitz until it forms a coarse powder.
- Serve bolognese sauce over your choice of pasta and sprinkle with the parmesan and basil if using.
The Lentil Bolognese and Cashew Parmesan will keep in the fridge for 3 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
Did you make this recipe? Leave your feedback in the comments below or tag @indiladybaby on Instagram and hashtag #indiladybaby.
One thought on “LENTIL BOLOGNESE WITH CASHEW PARMESAN”
Looks delicious 😍😍