Who doesn’t love Katsu Curry?! I was so happy when I discovered how easy it is to make that delicious curry sauce! In this recipe I replicated the usual chicken breast with some crispy breaded tofu. Tofu always has to be crispy in my opinion, I think that is why I never used to like it before because I had only every tried it when it was soft and spongey. Now, I love it!
See recipe at the bottom of the page for full instructions and measurements.
HOW TO MAKE THE CRISPY TOFU
Start by cutting the block of pressed tofu lengthways creating two thin slabs. Marinade tofu in marinade of soy sauce, tomato ketchup, agave/maple syrup, garlic powder and corn flour. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
In one bowl add breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt and pepper. In another bowl add unsweetened plant milk, I use soy.
First coat the tofu slabs in the breadcrumb mixture, then into the milk and then back into the breadcrumbs for a double coating.
Fry the tofu in a frying pan until golden brown all over. Slice diagonally.
HOW TO MAKE THE KATSU CURRY SAUCE
Cook onion, garlic, ginger and carrot in a pan with a pinch of salt and pepper until softened.
Add curry powder, turmeric and plain flower and stirfry until fragrant. Add vegetable stock an soy sauce and simmer until the carrots are soft.
Add to blender and blend until really smooth. You can also use a handheld blender for this!
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tbsp agave/maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 400g firm tofu, pressed
- 85g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 200ml unsweetened plant milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for frying)
KATSU CURRY SAUCE:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled cut into 1 cm pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3cm piece of ginger, minced
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- white, brown or cauliflower rice
- Make the marinade for the crispy tofu. In a bowl mix together the soy sauce, tomato ketchup, agave/maple syrup, olive oil, garlic powder, cornflour and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Slice the pressed tofu lengthways into 2 long thin slabs and add to the marinade, make sure they are completely coated, then cover and leave in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- In one bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt and pepper. In another bowl add the plant milk. Once marinated, place each tofu slab into the breadcrumbs and make sure it is evenly coated, then into the plant milk, then back into the breadcrumbs again.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the tofu slices, cooking for about 6 minutes on each side.
- To make the katsu curry sauce, start by heating the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, ginger, a pinch of salt and pepper and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the curry powder, turmeric and flour and stir-fry for a couple of minutes until fragrant. Gradually stir in the stock and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the carrots have cooked through. Using a handheld or upright blender, blitz the mixture until it forms a completely smooth sauce, adding a little water if it is too thick.
- Serve the katsu curry sauce over rice, topped with sliced pieces of the crispy tofu.
Did you make this recipe? Leave your feedback in the comments below or tag @indiladybaby on Instagram and hashtag #indiladybaby